This easy vegan hot chocolate is my absolute favorite! It’s healthy, cozy, and comes together in 10 minutes.Jump to Recipe
Let’s be real here. This vegan hot chocolate is nothing fancy, but it’s my absolute favorite. I make it anytime I want a cozy drink while I snuggle under blankets and watch movies. It’s warming, healthy, and super chocolatey. It’s on repeat all winter long in my house and I hope it will be in yours too!
Ingredients for Vegan Hot Chocolate
Maple Syrup: I like to do half a tablespoon, but use however much you like! Everyone’s palate is different.
Cocoa or Cacao Powder: Either works! If you want to know more about the differences between cocoa and cacao, check out this great explainer. For the purposes of this recipe, it doesn’t matter too much. Whatever you have on hand is perfect.
Vanilla Extract: To enhance the flavor of our hot chocolate by lending some creaminess and decreasing bitterness.
Sea Salt: Essential to any good hot chocolate! It brings out its sweetness and accentuates flavor.
Plant-Based Milk: Any kind works! My absolute favorite is oat milk. Sometimes I do half oat and half almond milk.
Dairy Free Chocolate Chips: You’ll add these at the end to really make things decadent. Enjoy Life has my favorite vegan chocolate chips.
Tips & Tricks
- Be sure to whisk the maple syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and sea salt together before adding the milk. In my experience, this helps everything combine beautifully.
- It can be tempting to crank up the heat in order to warm the milk more quickly. Don’t do it! This will scald the milk and it will not taste good.
- Whisk vigorously as you add the chocolate chips at the end. This will ensure it’s fully melted and incorporated.
If you make My Very Favorite Vegan Hot Chocolate, be sure to leave a rating and review! This encourages others to give it a try and helps Google figure out I exist. You can also tag me on Instagram or leave a review on Pinterest. It truly always makes my day to hear from you!
More Fun Drinks
- Easy Ginger Turmeric Latté (Vegan!)
- Easy 5-Ingredient Vegan Eggnog
- Rosemary Thyme Paloma Mocktail (with boozy option!)
My Favorite Vegan Hot Chocolate
- Medium Saucepan
- ½-1 tbsp maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup plant-based milk of choice (I like to use oat milk, almond milk, or a combo of both!)
- ½ tbsp dairy-free dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
Topping Ideas (Optional):
- vegan marshmallows
- coconut whipped cream
- Place maple syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and sea salt in a medium saucepan and give it a quick whisk to combine.
- Put saucepan over medium heat and add milk, giving it another stir to make sure the other ingredients are well-incorporated. Bring mixture to a simmer, whisking occasionally to make sure the milk doesn't scald or stick to the bottom of the pan. This will take 8-10 minutes.
- Once simmering, add chocolate chips, whisking vigorously to make sure the chocolate melts and incorporates fully. Remove from heat and pour into your favorite mug. Top with vegan marshmallows or coconut whipped cream and ENJOY!
Photography by Hope Agresti