A simple yet flavorful all-purpose Tahini Sauce to drizzle on everything! This vegan and gluten-free sauce will be your new go-to.Jump to Recipe
I am basically having a constant love affair with tahini, so it only makes sense to share my go-to all-purpose tahini sauce (i.e., the Only Tahini Sauce You’ll Ever Need). It’s perfect on bowls, salads, as a marinade, etc. The sky is the limit!
What Is Tahini?
Tahini is simply toasted sesame seeds ground into a paste! It has a consistency similar to your fave nut butter. It’s quite prominent in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. Most notably, it’s a key ingredient in hummus that helps create that creamy, nutty vibe we all know and love! It’s also become an increasingly common ingredient in vegan baked goods, as it’s excellent for binding and creaminess without using eggs or dairy products. If you’re wanting to learn even more about tahini, check out this explainer.
Tahini Sauce Key Ingredients
Apart from tahini, there are a few key ingredients that really make this sauce work.
Water: Start with a splash and add more as needed to thin. The sauce should be pourable but thick.
Lemon Juice: Fresh squeezed is best! Lemon and tahini are basically best friends and compliment each other beautifully.
Dijon Mustard: For some spicy tangy flavor.
Maple Syrup: Just a teaspoon for a dash of sweetness. You can also use honey if you’re not vegan.
Salt and Pep: To round everything out.
Tahini Sauce Pairing Ideas
So what on earth should you put this tahini sauce on? I’m so glad you asked.
- Salads and Bowls: I especially think it would be great with this salad in particular. Simply use this sauce in place of the almond butter vinaigrette.
- Roasted Veggies: This sauce is simply divine with some roasty toasty veggies. It’s particularly perfect with this Za’atar Sheet Pan Meal.
- Dipping Sauce: Think pita chips, warm naan or pita bread, raw veggie slices, etc.
I hope you’re simply obsessed with this Tahini Sauce. Be sure to leave a rating and review if you give it a try! You can also find me on Pinterest and Instagram. It makes me so happy to hear from you!
More Tahini Recipes
- Roasted Squash Apple Salad with Tahini Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Vegan Tahini Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal
- Tahini Pumpkin Muffins (Vegan and Gluten-Free!)
The Only Tahini Sauce You’ll Ever Need
- Blender or Food Processor (optional)
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ¼ cup water plus more as needed to thin
- juice of one large lemon
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute to ensure everything is well-combined and emulsified. Alternatively, you could place all ingredients in a mason jar with lid tightly shut and shake until all ingredients are well-combined.
- Drizzle on all your favorite bowls and salads!
Photography by Hope Agresti