The best easy weeknight dinner to satisfy all your taco and veggie cravings at once! This taco salad will become your new go-to.Jump to Recipe
I call this recipe the Go-To Taco Salad for a reason. Whenever my partner and I are in a dinner rut, these salads are our go-to. They come together quickly, taste delicious, and are packed with veggies. I always knew I would put them on the website eventually, and it’s finally happening.
Taco Salad Key Ingredients
Mixed Greens: Really, you can use any greens you prefer. I usually go with spring mix or baby butter lettuce.
Ground Turkey or Chicken: My easy protein of choice to keep things simple.
Bell Pepper and Yellow Onion: For the easy fajita veggies! You’re gonna quickly sauté them in all those meat juices until they’re tender.
Taco Seasoning: Again, we’re trying to keep things simple, so why not use a pre-made spice mix? Sieté is my favorite, but use whatever you have!
Lime Juice: Fresh squeezed if possible! I like to add a splash to the meat when it’s done cooking and another splash on top of the salads just before serving.
Salsa and Sour Cream: You’ll whisk these two together for an easy dressing!
Cheddar Cheese: For obvious reasons. I prefer the sharpest I can find.
Avocado: Take the time to dice and salt it! You won’t regret it.
Tortilla Chips: To really finish everything off and complete these taco salads.
Quick Tips & Tricks
- Looking to shave off some prep time? Feel free to chop your onions and peppers a couple days in advance and refrigerate in an airtight container. You could also whisk together your creamy salsa dressing ahead of time.
- Salt your greens! I’m telling you, this is a life-changing salad tip. Add just a pinch of salt to all your salads. It brings out their flavor so much more. Trust me.
- Make it your own! Add rice or your favorite grain, throw in some radishes or other fresh veggie, use plant-based meat grounds…the sky is the limit! Don’t let me stop you from living your best life.
I hope these delicious bowls become your new Go-To Taco Salad! If you give it a try, be sure to leave a rating and review. This encourages others to give it a try and helps Google find me. You can also find me on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok. It truly makes my day to hear from you.
More Incredible Salads
- The Year-Round Kale Salad (with almond butter vinaigrette!)
- The Ultimate Spring Salad (with zesty lemon pepper dressing!)
- Vegan Triple Sesame Coleslaw (East Asian-Inspired)
- Shawarma-Inspired Chicken Bowls
- Cherry Feta Salad with Zesty Lemon Pepper Dressing
- Beautiful and Refreshing Strawberry Mint Quinoa Salad
The Go-To Taco Salad
- 1 large frying pan
For the Ground Turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- juice of one lime
For the Fajita Veggies
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bell pepper (any color) seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- pinch of sea salt
For the Creamy Salsa
- ½ cup your favorite salsa
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
For the Rest of the Salad
- 10 oz mixed greens
- 1 large avocado diced
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- tortilla chips for serving
- lime wedges for serving
- Preheat a large frying pan with one tablespoon of olive oil until shimmering. Add ground turkey, allowing it to brown for about 2 minutes and breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go. Add taco seasoning and stir to evenly distribute. Continue cooking for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until turkey is completely cooked through. Transfer the cooked meat to a plate and add the lime juice, allowing it to rest for 5 minutes or so.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the same frying pan you cooked your ground turkey in and heat until shimmering. Add peppers, onions, and a pinch of salt and sauté until tender and slightly charred, about 8 minutes.
- While your veggies cook, whisk together salsa and sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- Assemble! Evenly portion mixed greens and diced avocado into four bowls and lightly season with a pinch of salt (trust me! this will make your greens taste so much better). Top with ground turkey, fajita veggies, and cheddar cheese. Drizzle with creamy salsa and garnish with tortilla chips and lime wedges. Enjoy!
Photography by Hope Agresti