These Spanakopita-Inspired Quesadillas are a fun twist on the classic Greek pie and come together in 30 minutes! Vegetarian/easily gluten-freeJump to Recipe
I’m coming in hot with another easy dinner recipe that takes less than 30 minutes to get on the table! These Spanakopita-Inspired Quesadillas contain all the flavors of the classic Greek pie while creating a fun new twist. We love a good fusion moment, and these Greek and Mexican-inspired quesadillas deliver.
What Is Spanakopita?
Spanakopita is a Greek dish made with layers of phyllo dough, spinach, onions, herbs, and feta cheese. It’s enjoyed as an appetizer or as a main dish, and record of it dates back to ancient times. In other words, this is one of the most classic Greek dishes you can enjoy. If you want an even deeper dive, check out this article.
Spanakopita-Inspired Quesadilla Ingredients
Yellow Onion and Garlic: To provide depth of flavor.
Baby Spinach: An entire container! Spinach is kind of the star of the show, after all.
Green Onions, Dill, and Parsley: For herbaceous goodness! Feel free to switch up the herbs if you want. I would imagine mint and cilantro could also work well here.
Feta Cheese: This briny, umami-rich cheese is a Greek classic and takes everything to the next level.
Ricotta Cheese: Not always a traditional Spanakopita ingredient, but it lends a nice creamy texture for the purpose of these quesadillas.
Tortillas: Large burrito-sized tortillas are best here. You could go for a classic flour tortilla or use grain-free tortillas such as Sieté to keep things gluten-free.
Olive Oil: Just a splash for properly greasing the pan.
Salt and Pepper: To bring everything together.
I hope you adore these Spanakopita-Inspired Quesadillas. If you give them a try, feel free to leave a rating, review, question, or concern. It truly makes my day to hear from you. You can also find me on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok.
More Quesadillas and Tacos
- Easy Cauliflower Sweet Potato Quesadillas (Vegetarian!)
- Delicious Mango Shrimp Quesadillas
- Crispy Zucchini Black Bean Tacos (Vegan!)
- large frying pan
- Large Bowl
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup yellow onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 5-oz container baby spinach
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup green onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- ¾ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 cup full-fat ricotta cheese
- 4 large flour, corn, or grain-free tortillas
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add yellow onion and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until onion is translucent and soft. Add spinach, salt, and pepper and sauté until wilted, about 5 more minutes. Finally, add green onions, dill, and parsley and sauté for an additional minute until they wilt and everything comes together.
- Add greens mixture to a large bowl with feta and ricotta cheese and stir until combined.
- Carefully wipe the frying pan clean with a paper towel and add a (tiny) splash of olive oil if needed to grease the pan. Add a tortilla directly to the pan to warm for 30 seconds or so (about 15 seconds on each side). Add about ¼ of the spinach cheese mixture and spread evenly over half of the tortilla. Fold the tortilla in half to make a quesadilla. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes, flipping once about 5 minutes in. Repeat until all 4 quesadillas are made!
- Add whatever garnishes and sauces you like. You could go for some salsa and avocado or lean into the Mediterranean vibes with some tzatziki sauce. Enjoy!
Photography by Hope Agresti and Allison Agresti