This healthier 3-ingredient s’mores dip is super simple to make, packed with healthy fats, and totally satisfies that summer craving.Jump to Recipe
Ahh, s’mores. What an incredibly nostalgic and satisfying summer treat. I had my first s’more in many years during a trip to the mountains not long ago, and it was definitely a moment. I mean, can you name a more iconic flavor combination? Whoever thought up s’mores is clearly a food genius. This healthier s’mores dip is the perfect way to get your fix without having to light a bonfire first. All you need is a cast-iron skillet or ramekin and three easy to find ingredients and you are golden (no pun intended).
Ingredients for S’mores Dip
Chocolate Chips: You can use any kind you like. You can use milk chocolate for that more traditional Hershey’s chocolate vibe, but my preference is semi-sweet or dark chocolate. My favorite dairy-free option is Enjoy Life.
Almond Butter or Tahini: My preference is a good salted almond butter, but tahini is a perfect substitute for any allergy issues. If your nut or seed butter is unsalted, I would add just a pinch of sea salt. My favorite nut and seeds butters are from Trader Joe’s.
Marshmallows: We’re going for the jumbo-sized marshmallows here. I like to tear them in half and place them rounded side up on top of the chocolate/almond butter mixture. I like these marshmallows for vegan/gluten-free needs.
Equipment Needed for S’mores Dip
I used a small cast iron skillet to make this s’mores dip. This little 6.5-inch skillet is budget-friendly and super versatile. I highly encourage having one on hand. If you only have a bigger cast iron skillet and you’re serving a crowd, doubling or tripling the recipe could work well. However, if you do not have a cast iron skillet, you can use a ramekin. A ramekin is a small rounded baking dish for single servings. I would recommend a 10 oz ramekin for the purposes of this recipe. If you use a ramekin, you will want to microwave the chocolate chips and almond butter in 30-second intervals as opposed to heating it over a stove. You may also notice you need fewer marshmallows to cover the top.
Ideas for Dipping
- Graham Crackers: The obvious choice here, especially if you’re going for that authentic s’mores experience.
- Pretzels: An equally delightful option, especially if you enjoy that salty/sweet contrast.
- Strawberries(or really any berry): Always delicious.
Storing & Reheating
To be quite honest with you, this dip is best served fresh. However, I have had success with reheating (though it isn’t quite the same). Make sure you thoroughly cover the skillet or ramekin in aluminum foil once it has cooled completely and place in the refrigerator. You can then place the cast iron skillet over medium heat on the stove until warmed through. While I haven’t tested it, I imagine sticking the ramekin in the microwave in 30 second intervals will work. Sticking it in the oven for a few minutes could work as well, though I would caution you that this will likely make your marshmallows more on the burnt side of golden brown (which may be your thing, who am I to judge?).
If you make this healthier 3-ingredient s’mores dip, be sure to leave a rating and review. This encourages others to give it a try as well and means the world to me.
Other Fun Dessert Ideas:
- Gluten-Free Olive Oil Meyer Lemon Bread
- Super Fudgy Gluten-Free Olive Oil Brownies
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
Healthier S’mores Dip
- 6.5 inch cast iron skillet or 10-oz ramekin
- ½ cup chocolate chips (dairy-free if needed)
- ½ cup salted almond butter or tahini
- 10-12 jumbo-sized marshmallows torn in half (vegan/gluten-free if needed)
- graham crackers
- whatever else your little heart desires!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For Cast Iron Skillet: Heat skillet over medium heat on stove top and add chocolate chips and almond butter. Allow to melt and then stir to combine. For Ramekin: Melt chocolate chips and almond butter in ramekin or microwave-safe bowl in 30 second intervals and stir to combine. If using microwave-safe bowl, transfer the melted mixture to the ramekin.
- Cover chocolate almond butter mixture completely with torn marshmallows, rounded side up, and place in oven for 15 minutes, or until the marshmallows are golden brown and puffy. Let cool 5 minutes and enjoy immediately!
Photography by Hope Agresti