This simple 3-ingredient homemade whipped cream will take any holiday dessert table to the next level. No need for that canned stuff!Jump to Recipe
Say goodbye to sad Cool Whip and canned whipped cream and say HELLO to the easiest, most decadent homemade whipped cream! Look, I know whipped cream is not rocket science, but I do feel like it’s an underutilized secret weapon for taking your Thanksgiving dessert game to the next level. I am here to dispel any preconceived notions you may have and show you just how dang simple this process is.
Ingredients for Homemade Whipped Cream
One of the best parts about this recipe is it only calls for 3 ingredients, and more than likely you already have at least 2 of them in your pantry.
Heavy Whipping Cream: Not to be confused with half and half! Only heavy whipping cream will thicken and fluff up properly.
Sweetener of Choice: My favorite is maple syrup, but powdered sugar also works great if that’s what you have on hand. Hey, even honey should work!
Vanilla: If you want to really wow your guests, you could use some vanilla bean paste. Those tiny bean flecks just make everything feel fancier. However, it is so not necessary! Use vanilla extract if that’s what you have.
Equipment Needed for Whipped Cream
You will need a hand or stand mixer with a whisk attachment in order to make this whipped cream. Now listen. While I’m pretty obsessed with my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer (not sponsored, sadly), you do not need one! Any hand mixer will work beautifully.
Chilling the Bowl and Whisk
Depending on who you ask, some may insist that you MUST chill your bowl and whisk before making whipped cream. I’m here to report that’s absolutely not necessary. It may shave off a couple minutes of whipping time if that’s really important to you, but it does not change the result. At all. It will be delicious no matter what. Trust me, I’ve tested it. Many times. Don’t create more work for yourself if you don’t have to, especially if you’re preparing many other dishes for a holiday gathering.
- This whipped cream is absolute perfection for any holiday dessert spread. Any pie would be improved by a fresh dollop of the good stuff. Might I suggest this Pumpkin Pie with Brown Butter Pretzel Graham Cracker Crust?
- Try adding it to your brunch table! Think French toast, pancakes, waffles, fruit, etc. Try it on these Balsamic Roasted Peaches!
If you make this homemade whipped cream, be sure to leave a rating and review! This encourages others to give it a try. You can also find me on Pinterest and Instagram. It always makes my day to hear from you!
Homemade Whipped Cream
- Hand or Stand Mixer with Whisk Attachment
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1-3 tbsp maple syrup or powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- OPTIONAL: If you're looking to shave a couple minutes off the whipping time, stick your bowl and whisk in the freezer for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and beat using whisk attachment on medium speed until medium to stiff peaks form, 3-5 minutes. As the whipped cream thickens, feel free to turn it up to high speed. Make sure not to whip for too long or it will turn into butter! Use the whipped cream to top your favorite desserts.
- Whipped cream will generally keep well, chilled in an airtight container for up to a week. If desired, you can give it a quick re-whisk for 10-20 seconds, but I find that it often keeps its shape pretty well.
Photography by Hope Agresti