This Healthier Caramelized French Onion Dip is the New Year’s Eve crowd-pleasing appetizer you’ve been dreaming of!Jump to Recipe
Are you in search of the perfect crowd-pleasing appetizer for New Year’s Eve? Well, look no further! This Healthier Caramelized French Onion Dip is incredibly flavorful, satisfying, and ideal for feeding a crowd. It uses full-fat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, but I promise you won’t even miss it!
Ingredients for Caramelized French Onion Dip
Yellow Onions: These are the ideal onions for caramelizing. The process may take a little while, but I promise it’s worth every second.
Olive Oil: Just a tablespoon to make sure our onions caramelize just right!
Balsamic Vinegar: To brighten and deepen the flavor of this dip.
Dry White Wine: For depth of flavor. The alcohol will burn off, but if you don’t keep wine in the house, you can easily omit.
Chives or Green Onions: For some herby freshness!
Greek Yogurt: Full-fat is a must! That fat free nonsense will turn this dip into a sad imitation of French onion dip.
Cream Cheese: Soften before using if you can!
Salt and Pepper: To round everything out.
- Potato chips: I mean, they’re the obvious choice, but there’s a reason for that! The flavor combo is simply next level.
- Pita chips, crackers, crostini, etc.: For if you want to live on the wild side and do something slightly non-traditional.
- Veggies: This dip would totally pop with a veggie platter!
If you make this Healthier Caramelized French Onion Dip, be sure to leave a rating and review! This encourages others to give the recipe a try. You can also find me on Pinterest and Instagram. I love hearing from you!
More Delicious Appetizers:
- Healthier Jalapeño Poppers (Vegetarian!)
- Amazing Cinnamon Pumpkin Cornbread
- Corn Flake Chicken Tenders with Pumpkin Honey Mustard
Healthier Caramelized French Onion Dip
- Food Processor (Optional)
- 2 large yellow onions thinly sliced into half moon shapes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce divided
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- ¼ cup chives or green onions finely chopped, plus more for topping
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup dry white wine (such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 oz cream cheese (about ½ a cup) softened
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat until shimmering and add onions. Sauté occasionally, checking every 5 minutes or so until they are caramelized and golden brown. This takes about 20-30 minutes.
- When onions are caramelized, add 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic, chives, salt, and pepper and sauté about 2 more minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Add wine and sauté until all liquid is absorbed and incorporated, 3-5 more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the rest of your dip. Add Greek yogurt, cream cheese, and remaining tbsp of Worcestershire sauce to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until creamy and smooth. This will make your dip extra silky, but if you don't have a food processor, you can definitely mix together by hand. Just make sure your cream cheese is softened.
- After they've cooled, place caramelized onions on cutting board and roughly chop with a knife. Fold the onions into the yogurt and cream cheese mixture. Top with more chives if desired. Serve with potato chips or whatever you fancy!
Photography by Hope Agresti