This fig grilled cheese with balsamic reduction is easy yet decadent, has just 5 ingredients, and comes together in 30 minutes or less!Jump to Recipe
I’m obsessed with this fig grilled cheese. While it’s certainly not a health food, it’s healthy for my soul and that counts for something. While it sounds fabulously fancy, it has only FIVE INGREDIENTS and comes together in less than 30 minutes. It’s a perfect easy and simple dinner that brings all the decadent vibes. I love to serve this with chips, crackers, or an easy side salad.
Fig Grilled Cheese Ingredients
Bread: Whatever you fancy works! I used a sprouted wheat sourdough bread from Trader Joe’s, but truly anything goes.
Provolone Cheese: Ideal for balancing the flavor of the figs and balsamic vinegar. Swiss cheese would also be a nice option.
Figs: I used fresh black figs, but any variety available at your grocery store works! Fig season can be short and sweet depending on where you live, so if you them, grab them!
Butter or Oil: I have a strong preference for salted butter when it comes to this particular recipe, but olive oil works too.
Balsamic Vinegar: To make your balsamic reduction! My favorite balsamic vinegar is from Costco.
How to Make a Balsamic Reduction
I understand that any kind of “reduction” in the world of food probably sounds super intimidating and fancy. For the longest time, I thought so too. Have no fear. I will walk you through the process. For the purposes of this recipe, simply put half a cup of balsamic vinegar in a small or medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once bubbling, reduce to a simmer until the vinegar thickens, stirring occasionally. This takes about ten minutes, but stoves can vary and be a little finicky so you will want to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
If you make this fig grilled cheese with balsamic reduction, be sure to leave a rating and review! This encourages others to give the recipe a try and it means so much to me.
Other Easy Dinners:
- Simple and Incredible Dill Pesto Tuna Melts
- Delicious Mango Shrimp Quesadillas
- The Very Best Easy Weeknight Turkey Burgers
Fig Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Reduction
- large frying pan
- small sauce pan
- 2 slices bread of choice (I used sprouted wheat bread)
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2-3 fresh figs sliced into rounds
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- First, make your balsamic reduction. Put the balsamic vinegar in a small or medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once bubbling, reduce to a simmer until the vinegar thickens, stirring occasionally. This takes about ten minutes, but keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
- Next, prepare your sandwich. Spread butter or olive oil on one side of each slice of bread. On the unbuttered side of one slice of bread, add toppings in this order: one slice of provolone cheese, sliced figs, a generous drizzle of balsamic reduction, and one more slice of provolone cheese. Top the sandwich with the second slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and place sandwich in the skillet. Cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Top with remaining balsamic reduction if desired and enjoy immediately!
Photography by Hope Agresti