These simple yet incredible tuna melts topped with dill pesto are perfect for a quick and easy lunch or dinner that doesn’t sacrifice flavor.Jump to Recipe
So first we made the tuna salad. Then we made the dill pesto. What’s next but to put it all together? I present to you dill pesto tuna melts. She’s a perfect combination of flavors and nutrients to make your tastebuds and your tummy happy. The first time I made these sandwiches, it was a simple matter of convenience. My husband and I needed a quick and healthy lunch, but I didn’t want to sacrifice taste. When I say these tuna melts, dill pesto and all, came together in less than 20 minutes, I mean it. It’s perfect for when you have a busy day but need something satisfying to keep you fueled.
Ingredients for Dill Pesto Tuna Melts
Tuna Salad: We get into all the details of what makes this tuna salad the best in this post. The tangy Greek yogurt, the spicy Dijon mustard, and the unexpected acidity from the pickled veggies combine to make sure your tuna experience is anything but boring.
Dill Pesto: Adds a highly concentrated herby, rich flavor. Honestly, I may be biased, but this sauce is what sets these tuna melts apart.
Cheese: But of course we need cheese to make this a true tuna melt. I like to use a sharp cheddar or provolone, but do whatever sounds good to you!
English Muffins or Bagels: I absolutely love this tuna melt on an English muffin, but I think it would also be stellar on a Dave’s Killer Bagel. Of course, this is also super customizable and you can use whatever bread or roll you fancy.
How to Store
I would store each component separately in airtight containers until you are ready to assemble for best results. If you are wanting to take it to the office as a weekday lunch, I also think it would taste delicious served cold.
If you try these delicious dill pesto tuna melts, I would love it if you left a rating and review sharing your thoughts! This helps little blogs like mine grow and encourages others to give the recipes a try.
More Easy Dinner Ideas:
- The Very Best Easy Weeknight Turkey Burgers
- Delicious Mango Shrimp Quesadillas
- Vegetarian Cauliflower Gnocchi Bake
Dill Pesto Tuna Melts
- Sheet Pan
- parchment paper
- Large Bowl
- Food Processor
- 2 5 oz cans wild caught tuna packed in water
- ½ cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- ¼ cup something pickled (I like dill pickles or pickled red onions) finely chopped
- 2 tbsp dill finely chopped
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dill
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2-4 English muffins or bagels (or any bread or roll you fancy!)
- 4 slices sharp cheddar or provolone cheese (or any cheese you like!)
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Drain water from both cans of tuna and dump into large bowl. Add all other tuna salad ingredients to bowl and mix until well-combined.
- To make regular tuna melt: Scoop quarter of tuna salad mixture onto one side of each English muffin or bagel and top with slice of cheese. Place topped and "naked" sides of English muffin or bagel in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- To make open-faced: Alternatively, you can make these tuna melts open-faced. To do so, you would simply scoop quarter of the tuna salad mixture onto both sides of your bread of choice and top with cheese before putting in the oven. If you do this, you will likely only need 2 English muffins or bagels.
- Meanwhile, place all ingredients for dill pesto in food processor and process on high for at least one minute or until all ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Remove tuna melts from oven and top with generous dollops of dill pesto. Serve immediately.
- If you aren’t a fish person, I think you could easily sub the same amount of canned chicken for tuna and still have a delicious melty sandwich.
- To make nut-free: Replace pine nuts with pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
Photography by Hope Agresti
This was amazing!!! Perfect for summer dinners!
Yay thanks for trying! So glad you loved it.