If you’re looking for an easy but decadent dessert, look no further than this delightful 5-Ingredient Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse!Jump to Recipe
This delectable 5-Ingredient Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse is the dessert I can’t stop making. It’s so simple yet so rich, and a little goes a long way. It’s an ideal last minute Valentine’s Day treat or holiday dessert to wow your guests. I’ll be honest, I tested this recipe a couple extra times “just to be sure,” mostly because I loved it so much.
Ingredients for Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse
Chocolate Chips: I would opt for semi-sweet or dark chocolate.
Heavy Whipping Cream: To create an ideal mousse texture.
Mascarpone: This soft Italian cheese is so rich and creamy and lends a lil’ something special to this mousse.
Vanilla Extract: To bring out the rich chocolate flavor.
Sea Salt: Trust me on this one. Salt and chocolate are a match made in heaven.
Tips & Tricks
- Whipping the Cream: Whip the heavy cream only until soft peaks form. This typically means the cream has thickened and has what I like to call gentle waves, but have yet to form stiff peaks. This is the perfect time to add the mascarpone.
- Adding the Mascarpone: Yes, it can be tempting to dump it in along with the heavy cream. However, it’s actually quite important to add it at the last possible moment, as over-whipped mascarpone can curdle. For obvious reasons, we want to avoid this sad fate.
- The Timing of It All: I recommend putting this mousse in the fridge for 1-2 hours before enjoying. If it’s in the fridge any longer, it will get pretty stiff. I actually don’t mind this and think it tastes delicious, but you can pull it out of the fridge and let it sit out on the counter for 30 minutes or so before serving to bring it back to a more traditional mousse texture.
I hope you’re as obsessed with this Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse as I am! If you give it a try, be sure to leave a rating and review. This encourages others to give it a try and helps Google find me. I’m also on Pinterest and Instagram. I always love hearing from you.
More Ideal Valentine’s Day Desserts
- 5-Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Truffles
- The Fudgiest Gluten-Free Brownies (made with olive oil!)
- Gluten-Free Caramel Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse
- Hand or Stand Mixer
- 1 9 or 10 oz bag semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 8 oz container mascarpone
- Add chocolate chips and ¼ cup heavy whipping cream to a medium microwave safe bowl or measuring cup. Microwave in 30 second intervals until fully melted, stirring at each interval to incorporate the cream and chocolate. Stir in vanilla extract and sea salt and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add remaining heavy whipping cream to a large bowl and beat using whisk attachment of your hand or stand mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form, 2-3 minutes. You can tell you've got soft peaks when the cream has thickened some and has gentle waves, but isn't yet stiff.
- Add mascarpone to whipped cream and beat on medium speed for an additional 30 seconds-1 minute or until just combined. You definitely don't want to overdo it on this step, as the mascarpone can curdle! As soon as the mixture is well-incorporated, stop your mixer!
- Fold chocolate into whipped cream until well-combined. Cover and stick in the refrigerator to chill for 1-2 hours. To serve, portion into small bowls or glasses and top with whipped cream, berries, chocolate shavings, etc. ENJOY!
Photography by Hope Agresti