These outrageously delicious Garlicky Brown Butter Sugar Snap Peas are the perfect side dish for any easy dinner!Jump to Recipe
These Garlicky Brown Butter Sugar Snap Peas are inspired by my mild obsession with this sweet veggie while in Kenya 12 years ago. I regularly bought fresh ones from the farmer’s market, took them home, and cooked them in olive oil and garlic salt. Yes, garlic salt (baby Allison still had a lot to learn). I also took some mild inspiration from a completely different type of recipe in Antoni Porowski’s new cookbook, Let’s Do Dinner. His Chicken Paillards with Caper-Butter Sauce is divine, and I thought the mixture of butter and red wine vinegar was perfect. I decided it was the ideal way to amp up the flavor in this dish even more.
Garlicky Brown Butter Sugar Snap Peas Ingredients
Butter: Just a couple tablespoons. You’ll brown the butter before adding the rest of the ingredients to create a deep, nutty flavor. You could also use vegan butter to make these vegan and dairy-free. Miyoko’s browns just like real butter, but it’s okay if you can’t find it. Either way it’ll be super delish.
Garlic: 5 cloves! When I say garlicky, I mean garlicky.
Sugar Snap Peas: Not to be confused with Snow Peas (though those could work too).
Salt and Pep: To bring everything together.
Red Wine Vinegar: Just a tablespoon at the end to add brightness.
- The Rotisserie Chicken Dinner: Ah, the tried and true easy weekday meal. Throw in some kind of potatoes (mashed, roasted, whatever you fancy!) and you’ve got dinner.
- Easy Grain Bowls: Toss these snap peas in a bowl with some kind of grain (rice, quinoa, etc.), some kind of protein (chicken, tofu, etc.), and any other veggies you like!
- A Holiday Spread: My favorite idea of all is to make these a feature side veggie of your holiday dinner (such as Easter, hint hint).
I hope you love these Garlicky Brown Butter Sugar Snap Peas! If you give them a try, be sure to leave a rating and review. This encourages others to give it a try and helps Google find me. It truly warms my heart to hear what you guys think. You can also find me on Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok.
More Delicious Sides
- Super Easy and Fresh Heirloom Pico de Gallo
- Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes
- Japanese-Inspired Miso Green Beans
- Crispy Parmesan Dijon Brussels Sprouts
- The Very Best Vegan Garlic Bread
Garlicky Brown Butter Sugar Snap Peas
- large frying pan (light colored if possible)
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 12 oz sugar snap peas washed and de-stemmed (I used a prepared bag from Trader Joe's)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat (use a light-colored frying pan if possible so you can tell when it begins to brown). As the butter melts, it will begin to bubble and foam. Whisk or stir constantly during this process to ensure it doesn't burn. Continue to stir until the butter turns golden brown and takes on a nutty scent, 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic to the pan and sauté for 30 seconds-1 minute, or until slightly browned. Add the sugar snap peas, salt, and pepper, and continue to sauté for about 15 minutes, or until the snap peas have softened and are slightly charred.
- Remove the sugar snap peas from the heat and add red wine vinegar. Mix until evenly distributed and serve as a side with your fave dinner!
Photography by Hope Agresti