This cozy apple pie smoothie is a refreshing and nutritious post-Thanksgiving breakfast that keeps the holiday vibes front and center.Jump to Recipe
Looking for a refreshing and easy healthy post-Thanksgiving breakfast but want to maintain all the cozy holiday vibes? This vegan and gluten-free apple pie smoothie is just the ticket. It’s packed with protein, fiber, whole grains, and plenty of warming holiday spices.
Apple Pie Smoothie Ingredients
Applesauce: That’s right, we’re gonna be using applesauce instead of whole apples. This is because it more successfully mimics the baked apple flavor profile of apple pie as opposed to raw apples.
Frozen Banana: To make things creamy and smooth.
Oats: A couple tablespoons to create a bit of a crusty vibe.
Almond Butter: For some nutty flavor, which will also help this smoothie taste like actual apple pie.
Vanilla Extract: I mean, can we even call this is an apple pie smoothie without a bit of vanilla?
Protein Powder: You know we need a protein boost to optimize the nutrition of this smoothie! My preference is plant-based vanilla protein powder, but unflavored or collagen peptides work well too!
Almond Milk: Just enough to make sure everything blends smoothly.
Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Ginger: I gave some general measurements, but honestly measure with your heart. This smoothie is meant to be cozy and give off all the holiday vibes.
Making Applesauce Ice Cubes
This is the secret to a thick and creamy apple pie smoothie without using watery ice cubes! Simply spoon applesauce to the top of each section of your ice cube tray and freeze overnight! If you don’t have ice cube trays, they’re worth the modest investment. They’re pretty cheap and make freezing all kinds of things way easier (think pumpkin puree, tomato paste, and anything you might have an awkward amount leftover from another recipe).
Apple Pie Smoothie Tips & Tricks
- Blend longer than you think. You don’t want chunks of banana or a grainy texture from the oats.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender as needed to be sure everything blends well (we do not like a chunky smoothie!).
- Generally, it is best to start with less milk and add a little bit at a time until you reach desired consistency (we also do not like a super runny smoothie!).
I hope you enjoy this cozy and healthy Apple Pie Smoothie. If you try it out, be sure to leave a rating and review! This encourages others to give the recipe a try. You can also find me on Pinterest and Instagram. I always love hearing from you!
More Smoothie Recipes
- Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- The Best Simple Green Smoothie
- The Best Ever Healthy Blueberry Zucchini Smoothie Bowl
Apple Pie Smoothie
- Ice Cube Trays
Apple Sauce Ice Cubes:
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
Apple Pie Smoothies:
- 12 applesauce ice cubes
- 1 large frozen banana
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Make your applesauce ice cubes! Portion applesauce into ice cube trays and freeze for at least 6 hours.
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend on high until well-combined, about 30 seconds-1 minute. Pour into two glasses and enjoy immediately.
Photography by Hope Agresti